Saturday, October 8, 2011

Preparing Individual Textbooks For Shipping

How you prepare your individual textbooks for shipping will become an individual matter based on your own tastes. I know of one book seller who places each book in a padded envelope and ships the book off that way. Using a padded envelope is a very fast way to get books ready for shipping. But the price of an individual padded envelope can cut into your overall profit considerably. I personally have only used padded envelopes once. I had fallen far behind on getting my orders out during peak selling season and was attempting to catch up. The padded envelopes saved me lots of shipping preparation time and caught me up on my shipping obligations very quickly.

Another book seller that I have encountered wraps his books in heavy brown paper. The paper that he uses for his books comes from Home Depot. It is the same paper used by painters in lieu of drop cloth. The paper comes in roll form and is very thick. His books are wrapped in the paper and taped closed in the same manner that you might wrap and tape a Christmas package. I only use paper from a roll to wrap my books when the book is over-sized dimensionally, or is thick and heavy. Art and Biology books are examples which sometimes require paper from a roll to prepare.

Under normal circumstances I use 10’ X 13’ (25.4X33.0 cm) Heavy Duty, Brown Kraft, Gummed Seal envelopes for shipping. I buy my envelopes in boxes. 250 envelopes come in a single box. My technique is to I lay an envelope flat on my desk and pull apart the back and bottom glued seams of the envelope. I lay the book to be shipped in the center of the opened envelope and then wrap the book like a Christmas present. Finished
examples of what my books look like can be seen in my You Tube video. If the method that I use to wrap textbooks for mailing appeals to your style and taste you can buy the 10’ X 13’ envelopes from: http://www.buyonlinenow.com/ 


A box of 250 envelopes costs about $30 plus $8.00 shipping.

Remember to secure your packaging well regardless of the method you choose for shipping. Books take a brutal beating as they move through the mail toward their destination. Make certain your packaging will be strong enough to survive the trip.